1.6.10

Some Memories of Lee Hancock Z'L



Photo: One of the favorite albums of Eugenia Lee Hancock Z'L

I just heard the news that a mentor, Rev Dr. E. Lee Hancock, passed on to the next world

I was lucky to have worked with Lee in 2004 and 2005 when she was Dean at the Auburn Theological Seminary. The first thing I think about when I think of Lee is that Lee was cool. She had great taste in music – she introduced me to IZ – the Hawaiian singer who has that amazing cover of “It’s a Wonderful World.” She liked wacky religious art – especially Madonnas that were 3D and popular folk renditions of Women’s religious experience. She got the “Jewish” thing -- not sure how to say this, but she had a Jewish sense of humor if that is possible…she got what Jews think is funny. We laughed a lot.

Lee was tough. Watching her face chronic illness and still carry herself so beautifully was inspiring. Lee was an amazing preacher. I’ll never forget the time I heard her in a one-day seminar on Alzheimer’s speak on the theology of disability. She spoke with such poise and elegance and courage.

I remember the many times that Lee and I sat together in her office kicking around ideas that later changed lives -- The MMEC, the doctoral program with NYTS, the Evolution, DNA, and the Soul series…all sorts of great energy and creativity came from Lee’s mind and heart.

Lee was a great light. Her absence calls on all of us to glow a little more.

May her memory be for a blessing.